|Black Horse Troop|
Composed by John Philip Sousa - 1924|
Dallas Wind Symphony - Dallas, TX.
The Black Horse Troop march was completed 30 December, 1924 at Sousa's Sands Point, Long Island estate. It was played for the first time about ten months later on 17 October, 1925, at a concert of the Sousa Band in the Public Auditorium, Cleveland, Ohio. There had not been to such an even as this one; as Sousa’s march was being played, "A" Troop, Ohio National Guard rode onto the stage and stood behind the band to the tumultuous cheering of all. The March King enjoyed a long relationship with the men and horses of Ohio National Guard Cavalry, located at Clevland, OHio,
It is recommended that both the characteristically loose-slung field drum be used together with the conventional snare drum. The bass drum heads’ tension should be loose, and the instrument should be played with a hard beater.
Sousa, who was a horseman himself, completed this wonderful work late in 1925. The march exemplifies the regimental rhythms heard with horse and rider and the Fennell arrangement preserves Sousa's original intent, specifically explaining articulations and musical nuances.
Need a gift for an Alumni of the 1st Cavalry Division?
|Return To The Host URL Of This Link|
Revised 09 Apr '12 SpellChecked