4th Cavalry Regiment
"Prepared and Loyal"
In the short span of twelve years the 4th Cavalry Regiment had been
redesignated as five different units and all that was left of one of the
finest regiment of the US Army was its regimental numeral on an armor group
headquarters company. Also, with the decision to do away with most tactical
regiments, the Army realized it must preserve the valuable honors, traditions
and history of famous regiments.
In 1957 the Army set up the Combat Arms Regimental System (CARS). Under CARS
the regiment would be a group of tactical units bearing the regimental name.
Over one hundred and fifty historic regiments of cavalry, armor, infantry and
artillery were preserved. The original line companies/batteries/troops of a
regiment would be activated as the headquarters company/battery/troop of newly
constituted battle group/battalion/squadron to preserve the lineal ties with
the old regiment. Should a separate company-sized element be required the
original company/battery/troop would be activated.
On 15 February 1957, five elements of the 4th Cavalry were activated.
- The 1st Squadron, 4th Cavalry descending from "A" Troop was
activated in the 1st Infantry Division at Fort Riley Kansas.
- The 2nd Battle Group, 4th Cavalry (infantry) descending from "B"
Troop was activated and assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division to
serve along the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) in Korea.
- The 3rd Squadron, 4th Cavalry descending from "C" Troop joined the
25th Infantry Division at Schofield Barracks Hawaii.
- The 4th Squadron, 4th Cavalry descending from "D" Troop was
activated with the Army Reserve 102nd Infantry Division at Kansas
- The 5th Squadron, 4th Cavalry descending from "E" Troop was
activated with the Army Reserve 103rd Infantry Division at
During the 1960s Army requirements led to changes in the active elements of
the 4th Cavalry. On 01 August 1963, with the transformation of the 1st Cavalry
Division to an Airmobile Division, its 2nd Battle Group was reorganized and
redesignated as the 2nd Squadron and assigned to the 4th Armored Division. On
15 March 1963, the 5th Squadron was inactivated. Its predecessor "E" Troop was
activated on 03 December 1963 and assigned to the Army Reserve 205th Infantry
Brigade at Madison, Wisconsin. On 31 December 1965 the 4th Squadron was
eMail Your WebSite Comments.
Return to "MyOwnPages"©.
Copyright © 1996, Cavalry Outpost Publications ® and
Trooper Wm. H. Boudreau, "F" Troop, 8th Cavalry Regiment (1946 - 1947). All
rights to this body of work are reserved and are not in the public domain, or
as noted in the bibliography. Reproduction, or transfer by electronic means,
of the History of the 1st Cavalry Division, the subordinate units or any
internal element, is not permitted without prior authorization. Readers are
encouraged to link to any of the pages of this Web site, provided that proper
acknowledgment attributing to the source of the data is made. The information
or content of the material contained herein is subject to change without
Revised 27 Jan '12 SpellChecked